Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Texas (BCBSTX) was awarded the six-year contract for the Employees Retirement System of Texas (ERS) account, effective Sept. 1, 2017. ERS participants covered under HealthSelectSM of Texas and Consumer Directed HealthSelectSM benefit plans will access care through a custom point of service network using the Blue EssentialsSM providers in all 254 counties in Texas.
ERS Participant Plan Options:
HealthSelect of Texas In-Area (Texas)
- Participants must select a primary care physician (PCP) participating in the Blue Essentials provider network and referrals are required to see Blue Essential providers for in network benefits.
Consumer Directed HealthSelect In-Area (Texas)
- Consumer Directed HealthSelect participants have open access to providers in the Blue Essentials provider network for their in-network benefits. This plan does not require PCP selection and does not require referrals.
HealthSelect of Texas and Consumer Directed HealthSelect Out-of-State
- ERS participants living outside of Texas have access to a PPO network under Blue Card.
HealthSelect Secondary 65+
- ERS participants 65+ and eligible for Medicare secondary to BCBSTX.
ERS participants can be identified through their BCBSTX ID card:
- The plan names HealthSelect of Texas and Consumer Directed HealthSelect will be printed directly on the ID card.
- ERS participants in Texas will have a unique network ID labeled HME.
In order to provide healthcare services to ERS participants in Texas, providers:
- Must have privileges at one of the Blue Essentials/HealthSelect participating hospitals (unless inpatient admissions are uncommon or not required for the provider's specialty or provider has someone who will admit on their behalf)
- Must have a valid National Provider Identifier (NPI) number
- Must sign a Blue Essentials agreement
Outpatient Clinical Laboratory Information:
Providers located in the Reimbursable Lab County List, can perform labs on the Reimbursable Lab List in the provider's office for HealthSelect of Texas and Consumer Directed HealthSelect of Texas participants. All other lab services must be sent to a participating lab.
The following are participating outpatient clinical labs for HealthSelect of Texas and Consumer Directed HealthSelect of Texas participants:
- Quest Diagnostics, Inc. - For locations or questions contact Quest at 888-277-8772 or visit Quest's website at: QuestDiagnostics.com/patient.
- Clinical Pathology Laboratory (CPL) - For locations or questions, contact CPL at 800-595-1275 or visit CPL's website at: www.cpllabs.com/.
- LabCorp - For locations or questions contact LabCorp at 1-888-LAB-CORP or visit LabCorp's website at: www.Labcorp.com.
If you have any questions regarding the ERS plans or are interested in participating, please feel free to contact your Network Management office or go to How to Join BCBSTX Provider Networks and follow the steps.
- ERS Provider Training
- ERS Provider Training Recorded Session (34 min - This recording does not require a password.)
- ERS Participants utilize the Blue Essentials Network refer to Section M in the:
- HealthSelect of Texas Quick Reference Guide
- Consumer Directed HealthSelect of Texas Quick Reference Guide
- HealthSelect of TexasSM & Consumer Directed HealthSelectSM Key Contact List
- Sample ERS Participant ID Cards
- HealthSelect Provider Finder
- HealthSelectSM of Texas Prior Authorization Requirements List
- Consumer Directed HealthSelectSM Prior Authorization Requirements List
- HealthSelectSM of Texas & Consumer Directed HealthSelectSM Out-of-State Prior Authorization Requirements List
- iExchange Frequently Asked Questions for HealthSelect of Texas