Making an Impact
Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Texas Leadership View
Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Texas (BCBSTX) has a long history of protecting members and helping them be at their best. In fact, this year we're celebrating 90 years of contributing to the health of our Texas communities.
And as a company, we take a broad approach to making a positive impact for our members and the communities where they live, work and play. We're part of these communities, too. If you volunteer at a school, a food pantry or another community organization, some of our employees in their blue shirts are likely to be working by your side.
Many things outside the scope of health care – such as lack of access to food, housing and transportation – play a big role in a person's ability to attain a healthy lifestyle. We’re continuing to build our network of community partners to help bridge these gaps, so we can provide peace of mind and empower whole-person health.
Here are some examples of our ongoing commitment to making our communities healthier:
- Through our Healthy Kids, Healthy Families® grant program, we're working to battle chronic kidney disease (CKD) and chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD) – two conditions greatly impacting the life span, productivity and quality of life of Texans.
- Our Care Van® program provides access to immunizations, oral care and health education for uninsured and medically underserved children.
- And through our partnership with KaBOOM! , we're helping build playgrounds that give Texas kids a safe place to play.
- Aligned with our Affordability Cures endeavor, BCBSTX is teaming up with Feeding America and 15 food banks across the state to facilitate access to nutritious food for the more than 4.2 million food insecure people in Texas.
- Additionally, we're launching a collaborative initiative with Texas A&M University Health Science Center to help identify and implement solutions to health care challenges facing our rural and underserved communities.
We'll share stories about these efforts here as we put our purpose into action.
Dr. Dan McCoy
President, Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Texas
Collaborating to Take on the Rural Health Crisis
Creative thinking may help overcome long-standing health care challenges in rural Texas.
Turning Back From Diabetes and Kidney Disease
With education and support, San Angelo residents are making lifestyle changes to prevent or manage chronic illness.
Addressing Food Insecurity
Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Texas works with Houston Food Bank to give kids backpacks of healthy food to take home over the weekend.
New Fleet Rolls Out to Improve Health in Texas
The Caring Foundation of TexasSM unveiled new Care Vans to expand access to preventive health care across Texas.
Building Safe Places to Play
Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Texas and its employees helped transform Tornillo's only public park into a safe and fun space for kids to play.
Making Connections in Our Communities
Our Volunteer of the Year, Adam Quintanilla, works with the Boots on the Ground ministry of his church to build wheelchair ramps on homes of elderly and disabled residents in Abilene.